This is a great meat sauce recipe. The sauce is hearty and comforting. Best of all the sauce freezes really well. I usually make a big batch and then enjoy it several times.
- 1 TBLS olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 (4 ounce) links hot italian sausage, casing removed
- 1/4 lb ground sirloin
- 1/4 lb ground veal
- 1/4 lb ground pork
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
- 1/4 cup no salt added tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can no salt added crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup no salt added tomato sauce
- 1 TBLS chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 cup torn fresh basil
- 3 ounces shaved Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion and carrot to pan; sauté 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic, sauté 1 minute, stirring constantly. Place vegetable mixture in a 6 quart slow cooker. Add sausage, beef, veal and pork to the skillet; sauté 6 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Place meat mixture on a double layer of paper towels; drain. Add meat mixture to slow cooker. Stir olives and next 6 ingredients (through tomato sauce) into slow cooker. Cover and cool on LOW 8 hours. Stir in oregano.
Serve with pasta, top with basil and cheese.