This baked bean recipe can be served as a side or as a meal itself. The combination of beans and meat make it very hearty and delicious.
- 1 can pinto beans, drained
- 1 can cannelli beans, drained
- 2 cans chix peas, drained
- 2 cans kidney beans, drained
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1lb ground beef
- 1lb bacon
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- couple teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 cup red cooking wine
In a large pot add the beans, ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, mustard and cooking wine. Set aside. In a medium frying pan cook ground beef, drain off fat and add to the pot with the beans. In the same frying pay, cook the bacon, when the bacon is cooked, drain off 1/2 the fat and cook the chopped onion in the bacon fat.
Crumble the bacon and add to beans and meat pot. Add the onions. Cook over low to heat for 2 hrs.