Don’t throw away the brown bananas! Just pop ’em in the freezer until you are ready to make banana bread. With the kids heading back to school tomorrow after vacation, I thought I would make some homemade banana bread as a nice breakfast for them.
- 1 cup sugar (I like to use organic)
- 2 eggs
- 1 stick of salted butter (if you use unsalted, add one teaspoon of salt)
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 teaspoons of pure vanilla
- 2 ripe bananas (if they are frozen, take them out of the freezer as you are collecting the ingredients and they will be fine to use when you are ready for them)
- 1/2 cup of walnuts (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a loaf pan with cooking spray. In a bowl, put one stick of butter (room temperature) and 1 cup of sugar. With a hand mixer, work in one egg at a time until mixture is smooth. Then add 1 1/2 cups of flour, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, 2 teaspoons of vanilla and 2 bananas until mixture forms a batter. Add 1/2 cup of walnuts, if desired.
Use a spatula to get all of the batter out of the bowl and into the loaf pan. Put into the oven for 1 hour. When an inserted toothpick comes out dry, it is done.
This bread is great served warm (can be quickly reheated in the microwave) with a cup of tea and fresh fruit. Enjoy!