Skillet Pasta Toss
This recipe cooks quickly. You can plan to have it for dinner and in no time at all it will be on the table. Total prep/cook time was about 2o minutes from start to finish. Perfect to make on a weekend and simply warm again for an afterwork dinner with a large salad or a couple of side veggies. Sometimes, we think we need to spend a great deal of time with foods, especially those that have an “Italian” flair, I have found that it is not always true ~ certainly not this time!
- 8 ounces of uncooked pasta (use elbows, bow ties, fusilli, or linguine. White or whole grain)
- 8 ounces regular or hot Italian turkey sausages with casing removed
- 2 cans(14.5 oz)diced Italian style diced tomatoes, do not drain
- 1- 8 0unce can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup prepared basil pesto. If you do not have the basil pesto add some fresh chopped basil(1/4 cup, loosely packed) or add 1 Tbls. of dried basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Cook your pasta according to package directions ~ el dente. Cook the sausage in a large skillet over med.-high heat till crumbled and lightly browned. Stir in remaining ingredients in with sausage and combine well. Drain your pasta well and add to sausage mixture and toss again to finish the dish. Top lightly with freshly grated Parmesan or Romano cheese.
Please remember that freshly grated cheese is ALWAYS the best choice. You will find that you will use less cheese and be happier. By the way you will save many, many calories and that is always a good thing. It is a win-win no matter how you look at it! Don’t forget the salad and or veggies. Mangia’