Hearty Fish Stew
Posted by 50sheryl
I really enjoy most all fishes in just about any way that they have ever been made. This is a stew, and you can tell by looking at it, it is quite a healthy option compared to those creamy, buttery, milky fish CHOWDERS we find in most restaurants. It comes together very quickly and is really tasty and who would complain about that. I love that fast and delicious cooking as it gives me time to make more wonderful recipes!!! Being in my kitchen is where I feel the most at home. Funny .. I remember my mother being very much the same in her kitchen. I guess the apple doesn’t really fall very far from the tree. I know I fell right under hers… and am so happy for it. I hope you enjoy this as much as I did. KALEE’ O’REXEE..(Greek for enjoy this meal.)
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups potato cut into small cubes
- 2 Tbls. canola or olive oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced bell peppers, I used all red only, but you may use red and green
- 2 cups carrots chopped into small pieces ( or use bagged matchstick carrots)
- 1 medium spanish or red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cans diced tomatoes, Italian style (with basil, oregano,garlic)
- 1-8oz. can tomato sauce
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound of any fresh white fish of your choice, cut into fairly large chunks. Do not cut too small as the fish will simple fall apart and disappear in the stew. I used cod fish.
- dried red pepper flakes (optional)
Put oil in a large sauce pan or dutch oven over medium heat. Add potatoes, pepper strips , onions and carrots. Cook about 7 minutes or till tender stirring occasionally.
Add all other ingredients except the fish. Increase the heat to med.-high and bring to a boil. Cover and drop heat to a simmer. Cook for another 5-6 minutes to meld those flavors. Remove the cover. Then gently add the fish and stir just a bit . Do not over stir. Add red pepper flakes here if using. Wait about 5-6 minutes more and ladle into your favorite bowl. It is wonderful as it is but FYI …I did grate a tiny bit of fresh parmesan on top and thought it was yummy. I thought even a bit of crumbled feta would work if you wanted to change it up! Enjoy.