Chili- for the BIG GAME!
Bill had made a plans to have his buddy, Matt, over to watch the “big game”, The AFC Conference, The New England Patriots verses the Baltimore Ravens. He asked if I would make my chili and he would add snacks and pizza to the menu. This is my version, a little different than most chili’s. I really like garbonzo beans better than the traditional kidney beans, so that is how this one is made. This chili is really not difficult to make but the longer it simmers the better.
- 1 and 1/2 pounds of lean ground beef
- 1 can garbonzo beans (also called ceci beans or chick peas)
- 8 oz. of salsa (I like Newman’s Own-Mild, but others will work fine, including fresh salsa)
- 1 can of tomato sauce (if you don’t have any salsa, you can use 2 cans of tomato sauce)
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Cumin
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Coriander
- 1/2 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Sour cream and shredded cheese, if desired
Brown the beef in a pot with garlic powder. Drain off the fat. Add the sauce, beans and salsa. Sprinkle in the cumin, coriander, red pepper and more garlic powder. The measurements of the spices are approximate, add more or less according to your own personal taste. Let simmer on medium heat.
Serve with a dollop of sour cream and some shredded cheese. Enjoy!
The chili was a success as was our team! Go Pats!