CHICKEN POT PIE ~ The real thing.
From a tiny BEACH kitchen:
Bon Appetit Magazine published this chicken pot pie recipe years ago. It is a hearty classic perfect for a winter’s night. Each pie is six generous servings and the recipe makes TWO pies. I “cheat” and use Pillsbury pie crusts – no one has ever complained. If you don’t have a crowd for dinner, the pie filling does freeze well in a ziploc bag for another time.
Disclaimer: This pie is a labor of love … and time. You will be hanging out in your kitchen for a bit so put on some good music and pour a glass of wine. For veggies, I like to use potatoes, carrots, broccoli and peas~ and small round onions if I have some in the freezer. Frozen veggies are easy to toss in if you don’t have them fresh.
Most of the “cooking” for the chicken pot pie filling is done in a large heavy pot on top of the stove in the chicken broth. Each individual item is cooked in the broth separately and removed to a large bowl. (Hence the good music and drink- this is a process.) The veggies are cooked “crisp”, not mushy. The broth reduces to 2 cups and is then used to make the cream sauce with FRESH thyme, butter, onion, milk and flour. I emphasize fresh thyme. It smells wonderful as it all bakes together. I always add extra Thyme.
For the dough, the bottom crust is baked for ten minutes prior to filling. Pre-baking the bottom pie shells will keep the pie crusty and helps to keep the “pie” slice together when serving.
The filling and thyme sauce are then combined and heaped onto the bottom pie crusts. I beat an egg and brush the top of the pie to brown it up before putting it into a 425 degree oven for 30 minutes. Each pie makes 6 generous servings. A scoop of cranberry sauce served alongside is yummy if you have some in the pantry. ~Sheryl
- 48 oz Chicken Stock plus 2 cups water
- 2 pounds boneless chicken breast
- 3 potatoes, cut into 1″ cubes
- 6 carrots, diced into 1/2 inch rounds
- 2 cups broccoli
- 1 cup of peas
- 6 TBSP Butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 TBSP flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 TBSP fresh thyme
- 2 boxes of pie crusts
- Boil Chicken stock and water in large pot on stove. Add chicken breasts. Boil 10 minutes. Remove. Cut into 1″ pieces. Reserve in large bowl.
- Add potatoes to pot. Boil 10 minutes. Remove. Add to large bowl.
- Add carrots to pot. Boil 10 minutes. Remove. Add to large bowl.
- Add broccoli to pot. Boil 5 minutes. Remove. Add to large bowl.
- Add peas to pot. Boil 3 minutes. Remove. Add to large bowl.
- Reserve remaining liquid. Approximately 2 cups.