Southwest Spicy Slaw
Posted by 50sheryl
I really enjoy quick, simple and tasty recipes. This recipe is all of that and this slaw packs a punch! Plus it looks so pretty with all of the colors. Bring it to one of you Labor Day cookouts. I hope that you enjoy this dish as much as I do. This will make enough slaw to bring to a barbaque. If you are really pressed for time you could replace the carrots, and cabbage heads for 2 – 16 ounce packages of cabbage and carrot coleslaw.
- 2/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly gound pepper
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced vertically sliced red onion
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups of shredded carrots (so that you get long strips)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 head red cabbage (cut in half and remove core, then thinly slice, so that you have long strips)
- 1 head green cabbage (cut in half and remove core, then thinly slice, so that you have long strips)
- 4 jalapeno peppers, halved crosswise (these are fresh, you should use gloves when handling these peppers)
Combine the first 4 ingredients in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Gradually add olive oil, stirring constantly with a whisk. Add onion, cilantro, cabbage and carrots.
Thinly slice 1 jalepeno half crosswise (keeping the seeds), and remove seeds (leave the seeds in more peppers for added fire, or seed them all for milder version) from remaining jalapeno halves. Cut the remaining halves into thin crosswise slices. Add the jalapenos to slaw mixture, and toss well to coat. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour.