Pickled Onion, Blue Cheese and Berry Salad
This recipe was adapted from Cooking Light Magazine. It is a super quick and easy delicious summer salad. Please don’t substitute other greens for the baby mixed herb greens, the herbs really make the salad fabulous. I would like to recognize my son Kevin, who has recently taken up photography and is responsible for all my photos. Nice job Kevin!!!
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar, divided
- 4 teaspoons agave nectar, divided
- 2/3 cup thinly vertically sliced Vidalia onion
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 (4 ounce) packages baby mixed herb salad
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled blue cheese
- 1 (6 ounce) package fresh raspberries
Combine 1/4 cup water, 2 tablespoons vinegar, and 1 tablespoon agave in a small bowl. Add onion; toss to coat. Marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes, drain (I marinate for longer than 30 minutes, I think the onions taste better this way).
Combine remaining 2 tablespoons vinegar, remaining 1 teaspoon agave, mustard, pepper, and salt in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Gradually add oil, stirring constantly with a whisk. Gradually add oil, stirring constantly with a whisk. Add salad greens; toss gently to coat. Arrange about 1 cup salad on each of 8 plates. Top each serving with about 1 tablespoon cheese, and about 6 raspberries. Makes 8 servings.