GREEK WHITE BEAN SOUP (FASOLATHA)
I learned of this wonderful and delicious Greek White Bean Soup in my mom’s kitchen as a child. Traditionally, made with dry white beans, I have found canned beans to be much easier without giving up the taste. In no time at all, the soup is finished. Just wonderful and so very good for you.
Ingredients: (makes 12 hearty cups)
- 3 – 1 lb 13 oz Goya Small White Beans
- 1 – 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 – 8 oz can of tomatoe sauce
- 2 TBSP chopped garlic
- 6 stalks celery, diced
- 4 large carrots, chopped
- 3 cups chicken stock (Recommend Minor’s Chicken Base, can be found at BJ’s)
- 1 TBSP dried oregano (rub between palms of hands to release flavors)
- 1 TBSP black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Place all ingredients in a large stock pot. Bring to a full boil. Stir. Stir. Stir!!
Reduce to simmer. Cover. Cook for 30 minutes or until veggies are tender. Remember to stir periodically.